The U.S. Department of Transportation offers new training opportunities focused on ITS technologies. All training is FREE and available online, through webinars, in the classroom, or through customized onsite education.
The ITS Professional Capacity Building Program (PCB) provides the ITS workforce with flexible, accessible ITS learning through training, technical assistance and educational resources. The program assists transportation professionals in developing their knowledge, skills, and abilities to build technical proficiency while furthering their career paths.
Here is an overview of the ITS PCB Program’s key resources:
- Web-based Training. Web-based courses are available anytime, day or night. Choose from a wide range of topics. Certificate programs in ITS Project Management, ITS Systems, Traffic Engineering and Operations, and Road Weather Management are also available.
- Classroom Learning. Still a popular training format, classroom instruction allows for direct interaction with instructors and fellow students.
- Blended Learning. Get the best of both worlds. These blended courses combine the flexibility of web-based instruction with the structure of periodic interaction with an instructor and other students, usually through discussion board, social media, and other online tools.
- Tailored/Event-Specific Training. Looking for more specialized, tailored training? The ITS PCB Program can coordinate the delivery of customized training at your conference or workshop. Training can focus on a range of topics, including cross-cutting topics, such as the National ITS Architecture, ITS standards, systems engineering, as well as emerging ITS applications such as Integrated Corridor Management, Advanced Transportation Demand Management, and connected vehicle technology.
- Talking Technology and Transportation (T3) Webinars. 90-minute interactive web conferences provide the platform for robust discussions on highway, transit, and multi-modal applications; ITS lifecycle issues; and other topics.
- T3 Webinar Archives. Can’t make a T3 webinar? Fit the webinar into your schedule through the T3 archives. This robust and always-accessible resource provides audio recordings of each webinar, synchronized with PowerPoint™ presentations, to create the experience of attendance in real time.
- ITS Standards Training Modules. Interested in learning how to evaluate, procure, and implement standards-based ITS devices and equipment? This free online training on standards can help you do just that through a self-paced, 35 class series that comes in 1-2 hour modules aimed at practitioners in state and local highway and transit agencies.
- ITS Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Program. Is your agency facing ITS planning, procurement, deployment, and operational challenges? Peer exchanges can provide short-term technical assistance. P2P is an important tool for transferring ITS knowledge, resources, and experiences among public agencies and throughout the transportation industry.
- Knowledge Resources Databases. The USDOT’s ITS Program offers a one-of-a kind collection of reports and studies, technical documents, and instructional guides for planning, procuring, and deploying ITS, including four ITS databases covering costs, benefits, and lessons.
For more information, click here or contact Mac.Lister@dot.gov