In July 2020, BMW will release its most comprehensive vehicle software upgrade to date, with new and improved features for vehicle connectivity and navigation. These features will be included straight from the factory with every BMW vehicle that has Operating System 7, such as the new BMW 5 Series. And for compatible BMW vehicles built before July, already in customers’ hands, these great new updates can be added with a free over-the-air software upgrade, which will be available from third quarter onwards.
- BMW Maps offers a completely new navigation experience: Faster, more intuitive, and more accurate. Destinations can be entered more easily. New cloud-based route calculation brings a significant improvement in performance. BMW Maps also provides contextual information for points of interest, such as ratings, business hours and images. Connected Parking also supports the search for parking spaces with additional services.As a new and globally unique digital service, BMW eDrive Zone plug-in hybrids automatically allow emission-free local driving.
- Connected Charging is making mobility more sustainable and innovative. BMW is supplementing it with Charging Management and other functions.
- The BMW Digital Key, which has just been announced at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, turns an iPhone into a fully digital – and secure – vehicle key.
- With the upgrade, BMW vehicles receive wireless support of Google’s Android AutoTM.
- The BMW I ntelligent Personal Assistant is getting a new design and has been enhanced with numerous intelligent functions. For example, the virtual character now turns towards the person talking and can distinguish between addressing the driver and the passenger.
- Since 2018, the Remote Software Upgrade has enabled BMW drivers to keep their vehicle up to date with the latest software, just like with a smartphone. The new functions can be downloaded and installed over-the-air. This is particularly convenient and extremely fast: even for extensive upgrades, hardly more than 20 minutes of pure installation time is required.
- With Remote Software Upgrade, BMW also offers its customers maximum flexibility and security when booking optional extras at a later date – regardless of whether the vehicle is new or used.
Oliver Zipse, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG:
“Digital technologies belong to the core of BMW – because hardware and software are of
equal importance for premium cars. Our mission is to integrate advanced digital technologies with highest product excellence to enhance our customers’ experience and driving pleasure even more.”
Read more here.
Source and photo credit: BMW Group